4/28/2019

Twitter thread on West Main pedestrian safety

A pedestrian was struck and killed in the intersection of West Main Street and Ridge Street after midnight Saturday. The driver had left the scene, but has since been arrested. Details in this  @DailyProgress article. (bit.ly/2J2Uf2z)

I walked downtown today and there was nothing in the intersection to indicate someone had been killed. Several years ago when a cyclist was killed at W. Main & 4th, a ghost bike was put up to draw awareness of safety issues.

But here's the thing - so many drivers don't respect that pedestrians have a right to the road. I was taking pictures and happened to catch a car decide to turn right anyway. I didn't get a plate. I was furious.
He saw the pedestrian light and went anyway. I yelled. 
I can't tell from the above article if this was the same crosswalk, or if it was the other crossing. I don't know the details of what happened. But, this is an intersection that could use some attention.

This isn't just a problem in Charlottesville, though. The Centers for Disease Control  has a page devoted to the topic. Nearly 6,000 pedestrians were killed nationwide in 2016. (bit.ly/2J0KnGB)

For years, Charlottesville has been studying an "upgrade" of W Main and have spent over $2 million on a consultant to draw up plans - not yet complete.

Plans for Phase 1 do not alter conditions of the southern east-west crosswalk. Here is a link a presentation from April 2018. (bit.ly/2J92Hh9)
The Phase 1 changes do not address pedestrian safety concerns. 
In July 2017, I wrote this story about safety concerns on West Main amid all the construction. If I was still a working reporter, I would be updating right now. (bit.ly/2IZOYcd)

Here are two alternatives for how the intersection would look. The emphasis is on the western side of the intersection. The first phase of this project is funded, but I don't know what the next steps are.
Instead there is an emphasis on creating a public park where motorists currently turn right, away from this intersection. 
The presentation I've linked to above was for the city's Board of Architectural Review. That's the last government meeting listed on the project's website. Here are two more images that depict the details that make up this $31 million project.
Add caption
I just looked up VDOT traffic counts for the intersection and it is estimated about an average of 25,000 vehicles pass through everyday. Data here: (bit.ly/2I1fRcB)

In any case, my condolences go out to the family of the victim. I don't want to lose sight of the fact that someone died crossing the road here.

Let's be careful out there. Please. I thought I would film this experience for those who have not walked through it.

Note that walking at a moderate pace was not enough to clear this intersection before the countdown. It really could use another ten seconds for pedestrians. 

No comments:

Reordering things for better stacking

I changed the style of the blog again to make it easier to read. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not, but when I'm no longer...