5/20/2019

Air conditioning, air travel, a change for the different

I had to turn on my air conditioning as I didn't want my house to be in the high 80's. I have it set at 80 to fight off the fact that I don't have sufficient insulation in my attic to prevent the heat absorbed from the sun all day. I'll need to work on that, and I have some steps I'm taking.

But, I want to point out that the sound of the mechanism at times sounds just like a plane as its banking around, trying to get to its destination. I hear that sound and I think back to all the trips I've had the fortune and blessings to take to England. I hear them and I think of that feeling of excitement I get just as I'm about to land on the ground about to begin a new adventure.

These days, it seems there's a new adventure every single day, as I challenge myself to get around this community without driving. I know that every single one of those plane trips likely pumps out more C02 than a year of my car-trips. I'm aware of that.

Today at a public meeting, someone skeptical about climate change said that people who are advocating for change should take the first steps to behavioral change. I agree, and I proudly accept the challenge, and part of that means acknowledging I know I'm not perfect. I know some of my choices, such as to turn on my air conditioning, are related to my own comfort and desires.

I'm just one individual. I am loathe to tell anyone what to do, a legacy of years in journalism. But I am committed to leading my example, warts and all. None of us are perfect, but we're here. I hope that in each of your lives, there are small reminders of the joy of adventure. As I hear that sound again, I'm imagining myself above London, ready to hit the ground again to see my family.

And then I realize: I have a whole community here of which I am blessed to be a part. I'm grateful for the journey I am on.

No comments:

Reordering things for better stacking

I changed the style of the blog again to make it easier to read. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not, but when I'm no longer...