9/26/2019

September 26, 2019 trip to University Village

I have to get to University Village today and am using the University Transit System to get there.

Standing at this stop waiting for a North Line bus. I could probably walk the rest of the way to my destination but I did say I would try @UVAUTS
It was sunny, and so I waited behind the bush in the shade. 
Actually I am technically off in the shade. It’s hotter than I expected. It’s strange being in this section of town. Still waiting. Which is fine. The wind is blowing. I am people watching.

Nearby this spot if where my station wagon blew up way back in 1990. It was my first time in Charlottesville.

In 5 minutes, though, I need to start walking if a bus doesn't arrive.

One does, but it is full. This is funny. And I like to see it! The bus is indeed full. So that’s a caveat. Do I go ahead and walk? It is fun to feel like a stranger in the place where I live.
It's not often to see a full Charlottesville Area Transit bus
I am on board the UTS bus and it’s like being on vacation. It’s always good to see the community from different perspectives. Also weird being on a bus in this part of the city. Also I am old. Thank you @UVAUTS for your help. Excellent customer service.

I missed the stop @UVAUTS suggested. Rats. I really don’t know this part of town on foot or on transit. Still it is very pleasant. I will end up walking and will be a bit late. Oh well.

The driver tells everyone to have a nice day as they get off the bus. Oh cool. It’s looping back the way I want to go. And we wait at a quick time stop. I am so thirsty and am envious the driver has a beverage. I left my water bottle in a colleague’s car last week and have yet to retrieve it.

I am my destination. It’s hot out and I am sweating but I did not drive here. I really miss my water bottle.
This is where my meeting was. 
This is the bus that will take me back toward town. The stop is right by an athletic field that has a big game going on. Soccer! This is a fun adventure indeed. Virginia versus Virginia Tech.
The bus was in the middle of a loop. 
Here is a handy guide to service levels. And now I know how to get to meetings at University Village. Doesn’t happen often but now I know how at least.

Wait. That bus from above went out of service and now the app tells me there is no other bus expected. There are three other people standing at this stop. So maybe they know something I don’t.

I am still very thirsty. The bus arrives. Hooray! Of course I have no idea where this bus is going to go. It’s fun to have mysteries. Also fun to see people actually crowd onto a bus. I am very old.Here is a picture of the game. 
The University feels so far away to me, despite living less than a mile away. 
I really have no idea where I am going to get off of this bus. I should have gotten off at the chapel but the app said there wasn’t a trolley for a while. Again this is why it’s important to have a transponder on the 404. The next stop might work.

There are two trolleys coming to that stop within five minutes of each other.... oh wait. The bus turns onto a road I never travel on and I am still puzzled and bemused. This could be the thirst.

Another frustrating app thing. This 7 did not show up on the app for the stop in front of the Rotunda. I am hopeful to catch it. I could walk home from here but want to stop by my office. Have I mentioned how much I love not driving? There is a long line of cars and so I suspect the 7 will take longer than expected. So I am hoofing it up to the next stop. This gambit may fail.
The fastest way to move around 
Yep. It failed. Happy to walk. Ecstatic to not be in a car. Before I catch the 6 home I heard amazing music at Commonwealth so I stopped in before it leaves. Car free means I get to do these sorts of things. These guys are amazing and I feel my soul enriching as each note is played.
I wait for the 6. There are three men about my age waiting here too. One of them has the app and tells his colleagues they have one minute until their bus arrives. But then... it’s not a bus. They were waiting for a Lyft. My bus can’t leave until the private car pulls away.

I reckon on this trip I have passed by hundreds of homes. Thousands of people. Public transit is a valuable service that can make people’s lives better. Six months in to my commitment, my life is better. I am truly inspired by seeing the heavy usage of UTS. They have a different funding model than CAT or JAUNT but the fact they are all now at the table talking about this issue is amazing. I really do have hope. I want to tell this story.

No comments:

Reordering things for better stacking

I changed the style of the blog again to make it easier to read. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not, but when I'm no longer...