11/30/2019

Recap of the 2019 UVA-Virginia Tech Game

(This is another experiment of using Spooler to take what I write on Twitter and capture it in a different place, less ephemeral) 

I'm catching up on the news while watching the UVA - Virginia Tech football game. This is the most football I've watched all year. I don't like the sport anymore, really. But growing up in Virginia kind of compels me to watch this.

Who to root for? In another thread I'm doing news stuff.

For some sort of "balance" this is the article on the game from today's @DailyProgress

They write a lot of sports stories I don't tweet, but glad that they do for those who want them. (bit.ly/2DvF91E) The score is 13-13.

The game gets more intense with every passing second.

I graduated from Tech in 1995 and that time contributes to my affinity for Southwest Virginia.

I have lived in Charlottesville area since 2002. My first time visiting was 1990 for a show at Trax. So, I'm torn.

But in the past year and a half, I've been able to say my opinion.

Shouldn't I make one here?

I know that if UVA wins, it will be a very happy town tonight, just like when UVA Men's Basketball won the national championship.

That might be nice to see. I have spent an adult lifetime rooting for Virginia Tech to win. It's hard not to get excited when they make advances.

But I've lived most of that lifetime in Charlottesville, and I know so many people who want to see UVA win.

Frankly, this is why I don't follow sports. I've spent most of that lifetime being "neutral" as a journalist. When I did that work, I wanted to try to get a sense of what all of the arguments were.

These days it seems many of our important arguments are played out as just another sporting event.

VT goes ahead. Sports, though, is about emotion.

When UVA is down, and then make a good play, I get excited. I want them to get another touchdown.

I want them to make good arguments in this arbitrary debate about which team is better.

I lean in their favor because they are the underdog. The tie takes place!

This makes the contest more interesting. I lean closer and closer to wanting them to keep the momentum.

This is a year in which both sides are evenly matched. I've not watched the games directly, but I'm aware they are both 8 and 3. Then Virginia Tech responds with an amazing play. They go ahead!

I spent so many nights being excited when plays like that happen. I always wanted them to go ahead.

Today, I don't feel that way. I admire that pass, perfect football.

But today I hope UVA comes back. UVA responds with two great plays, one of which may be taken back.

This is exciting.

I feel like I'm at the 14th Street Bridge again, waiting for the victory that may not have come in those moments I was standing there.

The UVA victory would be very exciting. And then UVA scores a touchdown and then ties!

It's an exciting game!

We don't know what's going to happen! It's up to the people on the field who have trained to score points, and to stop others from doing so! And now Virginia Tech goes up with a field goal.

I've not been back to Blacksburg since 2012.

I live here all the time.

And will keep doing so.

Then UVA advances in a play. I still don't feel the same emotion in the past when Tech would do the same thing.

Still glad. UVA ties it up, again.

This game is being played less than a mile from my house.

I've heard the Rolling Stones play there. From my old house nearby.

I heard U2 play there in 2009, the night of an Albemarle Supervisor candidate forum.

My training in Blacksburg got me here. Here we are closer to the end of the game. I'm hoping UVA wins, but I'm not standing in front of the television watching every detail.

It's difficult to root against Virginia Tech,. I have an affiliation.

It's also totally and utterly arbitrary.

Do I just lack passion? Then UVA intercepts and then comes close to a first down. There are four minutes left.

Suddenly, the idea of a deadline comes up, and I remember all those nights I helped publish a twice-weekly newspaper, and spent so many overnights.

We never lost one.

Paper always got out. Now I am standing up watching the game. Two minutes left.

I know which way I want this go, but there is nothing I can do to control this.

As such, I'm cautious about investing any of my emotions. Then a field goal is kicked, and UVA goes ahead with less than two minutes left.

I smile this new smile that's new to me.

I hear in the background the music for Auld Lang Syne, which UVA uses for their alma mater. I can't grok that but salute it anyway. Virginia Tech quarterback goes down in a first down with a defeat on the line.

This is weird, because I have always rooted for Virginia Tech.

I hope UVA wins, but so many nights were spent rooting for Virginia Tech.

I smile, though, and prepare to go out and celebrate. But then... I see people cheer about something like this and... maybe it's not the time to bring up the struggles. /

It's clear UVA is going to win now, but I don't feel any real emotional connection despite living here for a third of my life.

I'm happy for people. We have so much work to do to fix the struggles in our future.

Virginia Tech trained me for the public service that I've done my entire adult life.

I dislike when we become "us versus them."

I like who we are as individuals.

Torn. 

Ending tweet:

Ut Prosim.

"That I May Serve"

That's what I'm here for.

Congratulations, UVA.

No comments:

Reordering things for better stacking

I changed the style of the blog again to make it easier to read. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not, but when I'm no longer...