12/03/2019

December 2, 2019 news round-up


I am drawn to doing these because my professional career began with an internship at WVTF Public Radio in 1995. Since then I always wanted to anchor a newscast. Earlier this year I experimented with a daily news podcast, and managed to go most of January completing it each day! I can provide samples upon request.

Anyway, I am doing these because my early days in media were in broadcast news. This taught me to write as tight as possible because every second counted. In a lot of ways, tweeting out the news satisfies my need to keep up my practice.

And this is practice. As in, this is a day old now. But the point of this experiment is to document these links so I can find them more easily. And who knows? Maybe I'll try a daily news summary podcast again?


  • Charlottesville Council tonight considers land purchase for parking garage being built in part to supply parking spaces for joint courts. (bit.ly/2DBNiSb) That last story was by @nstoutDP in the @DailyProgress.
  • If you're interested in the story, take a look at the staff report, which has more details. (bit.ly/2rQK6zO)
  • On the front page, @BK_McKenzie writes how the firm Cardboard Safari is now producing cut-out Christmas trees. (bit.ly/2YaHI2X) 
  • The Daily Progress profiles a 7th grader at Buford who is a leader in the local climate strike movement. (bit.ly/2LgTIdR) The cost of treating prisoners is increasing in Virginia, in part because of an aging population. This story in the @DailyProgress is originally from @RTDNEWS (bit.ly/2P7jAK9)
  • The future of the George Rogers Clark statue on West Main Street / University Ave is being discussed by a committee at UVA. Read the details in this @cavalierdaily story (bit.ly/34IvsZT)
  • The work of @perronerobotics to build autonomous vehicles is profiled by the blog @FierceElectron - I learned a few things I didn't know before. (bit.ly/2YhbBP6)
  • Back to health care costs in Virginia prisons for a moment. @nedoliver reports in the @MercuryVirginia that UVA and VCU have been approached to help, with a possible takeover of the healthcare clinic at Fluvanna Correctional Center for Women (bit.ly/2OHb71l)
  • Many archaeological and historical sites in Virginia Beach will likely be underwater soon due to sea-rise. This is the A1 story in today's @virginianpilot (bit.ly/33IZBXJ)
  • Scientists at the Jefferson Lab are trying to find a way to use accelerator technology to purify water. This story from the Daily Press is in today's @virginianpilot (bit.ly/33JaIjj)

No comments:

Reordering things for better stacking

I changed the style of the blog again to make it easier to read. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not, but when I'm no longer...