11/01/2020

Why don't we sing this all together?

I've been listening to the Rolling Stones discography, but have sort of stopped in the 1990's. This week I was going through records and discovered I have a copy of Their Satanic Majesties Request on vinyl. It's in good shape.

My friend Janet does not care for this album, and I respect that. But I don't think I'd ever heard the opening track "Sing This All Together" before and I'm fascinated by it. I know that in the band's greater discography, this is not very well-received.

I didn't know any of that and only look it now as something new to me. Hearing with 2020 ears just before a chaotic election during a chaotic and uncertain period, this song seems to fit right now. This album seems to fit right now.

I say this also as someone whose musical taste has been whet by bands making things today that depend on psychedelic rock that built off of the blues and here I am this first generation American kid pushing 50 and yet I feel listening to this entire album.

I'm not going to post a link. You can find the song if you want. I'm more interested in knowing what you're listening to these days. With streaming music, I tend to read music like novels, going through entire discographies in the hope of making sense of things. Or not making sense of things.

And that's where the lyrics for Sing This All Together come back to me right now.

Why don't we sing this song all together Open our heads let the pictures come And if we close all our eyes together Then we will see where we all come from

No comments:

Reordering things for better stacking

I changed the style of the blog again to make it easier to read. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not, but when I'm no longer...