6/10/2023

Test post!

This is perhaps the least positive update I've had to give, but I feel I need to explain some changes that are necessary to get through the next little while. One of my parents needs care and the health care system does not appear to have any solutions for us. This may change in the near future. That means I will need to be present with them, indefinitely.
This means they are now my first priority, with Town Crier Productions a close second. Thankfully in late May I took a look at the entire business and am ready to implement a few changes.
First, I've resigned from C-Ville Weekly. I have to write four more columns, but I will be challenging that or paying them back. I agreed to write the column last December but said I may need to evaluate. At the moment, this is the first thing to cut because I had to turn in a story yesterday morning at a time when we were in a major crisis. I do not have any ability to take a week off, and that is not fair. So I quit. I very much enjoy writing them, but I do not have the bandwidth at this time.
Second, I'm cutting back on my work on cvillepedia. I've helped steward the site for a few years thanks to the Albemarle Charlottesville Historical Society and receive a small stipend. I'll assist with the transition to JMRL, but I have to do triage on my work time. I'll get back to it, and look forward to helping train people how to make edits to share information.
Third, I am going to temporarily stop producing each Charlottesville Community Engagement as a podcast. Usually the production adds about an extra hour to each installment, and that's an hour I do not have at the moment. This part hurts, but I'll have to adjust. And, it's likely I'll post individual segments on Charlottesville Podcasting Network.
The good news is that I'm going to have time to devote to everything else, including hiring someone to assist me as I think about expansion. This situation will at some point have some sort of a resolution, but that could be months.
There will be a Week Ahead tomorrow, as well as several Fifth District Community Engagement editions this week. Eventually I'll find out how to work around my parents.
Thankfully I have enough support from Patreon supporters, sponsors, and Substack subscribers to be able to take the time off I need to provide the care. This was completely unexpected and I am getting used to the fact that the health care system is failing so many people. Our story is not the only one.
I've made this post public to send out to everyone as a general explanation so I devote any space I have to content.
Any questions?

No comments:

Reordering things for better stacking

I changed the style of the blog again to make it easier to read. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not, but when I'm no longer...