The writing of it down

It took me a bit, but I'm beginning to enjoy The Paper. Fiction about journalism is not always welcome, and I stopped watching this on its original run about halfway through.

There's a second season now and before I watch it I want to complete the first. I finally finished the episode I got stuck on. The show works best when there's no direct connection to The Office, so seeing Oscar can take me out of the show.

On a rewatch though, it's making me connect to a thing you hear about the Office.

"They could never make that now!"

And while technically correct because of the way time works, it's incorrect because the same format is being used to present a fictionalized account of how people interact.

I've not been in a workplace for a long time, and the last one I was in was not a happy experience. The one before that was, but it all fell apart when we lost the person who was keeping it together.

For six years, I've had a workplace of one, though I collaborate with a couple of other media outlets in town. When the pandemic happened, I doubled down on working at home and my productivity drops in most places.

So watching a show like The Paper from the mid 2020's is a good piece of entertainment that feels adjacent to real life. And then I remember back to the movie The Paper from the 1990's and how that film solidified what I wanted to do the rest of my life.

"They could never make that now!"

You could say that about local journalism, but I try my best.

Am I fictional to you? I see so few and interact with so few of you.



 

Comments