Skip to main content

The World at 2.0

60 Minutes tonight had a story about Charles Robert Jenkins, the army sergeant who got drunk and deserted his U.S. Army post in Korea. He spent almost forty years in North Korea, and was only allowed to leave the country last year. In the interview, Jenkins describes what it was like being a prisoner of the regime, and they even show clips of the movies Jenkins was forced to star in, usually in stereotypical roles like The Evil American.

Jenkins was described by reporter Scott Pelley as a "modern day Rip Van Winkle" who had never seen a computer, didn't know what a Big Mac was. Watching the video is well worth it if you have the time.

What a different world we're in in 2005, as opposed to 1965. 1965 was the year my parents came to North America, leaving England in search of a better life. I've grown up in between two cultures, England and America, and I've spent my life wanting to be somewhere else other than here. It's deep in my family history. My great grandfather moved from England to Malta. His son went from Malta to England. My dad went from England to North America. And me?

We live in a different world than any of my forebears inhabited. I can instantly communicate with my family three thousand miles away. At the moment, I'm listening to Virgin Radio over the web, hearing all the latest advertisements. The M25 is closed between junctions 5 and 6 as I type this.

I've never listened to British commercial radio before. I've only recently become a listener of commercial radio in the U.S. My radio career was influenced by British radio, in particular that of the BBC, and the fact that I ended up in public radio has something to do with this. I'm still in public radio, but I've widened my horizon to accomodate other opportunities. Wordcast is a for-profit venture, after all, though CPN will hopefully evolve into a non-profit. I'm temporarily not categorizing things while the whole business model sorts itself out.

England is always going to be beckoning me, influencing me, helping me to sort out who I am, where I come from. In addition to supporting my new family, I'll be trying to earn money to travel over to England at least once a year. I've been over twice in the last year, to see Henry, and to lay down the foundation of a possible emigration of my own.

But, I live in a world where I might not ever have to choose one country over the other. Every day I listen to Virgin Radio while I walk my dog, thanks to podcasting. Imagine being like Charles Robert Jenkins, walking back into a world that is becoming more connected, stronger through the weaving of information through ones and zeroes.

What will it be like in 2045? Where will Henry end up? Rootlessness runs in my family, but again, roots are taking on a new form. We're all leaving trails every day of where we were, what we did, what we saw. Where is this all going to go?

To steal an audience-stealing technique from television, stay tuned.

Comments

michaelP said…
I think I understand where you are coming from. I grew up as an "Air Force Brat" whose mother was Greek and father from the U.S. I spent pretty much my entire life until about 18 or so overseas. I lived in Greece, Italy, Germany and Turkey and never really knew where my roots were. I guess I would now say Greece since I did grow up with a lot of my relatives there. I classify them as my "Greek Side" and the other my "American Side". :)

Nonetheless, maybe it is good to wonder and wander. And, I think, it is very interesting where life carries you. Sometimes we may think we are in control but we do, afterall, live in a world governed by chaos. So, do your best and enjoy the ride.

Popular posts from this blog

Running as sense-making

It's going to be a stressful day. I got up at 7:00 AM to start work and I could sit here in front of my computer for the next 10 days and still not get it all done. Okay, that might be an exaggeration, but I'm prone to that awful habit when I'm under stress. I'm under stress at the moment as I try to balance work, my other work, and my need to run six miles or so every other day. In 14 minutes my feet will hit the street and I'll be off. No phone. No e-mail. Just me and my feet. I'm even going to skip the iPod today so I can hear the birds, and so I can concentrate on my surroundings. I don't know where I'm going to go. I know I'll leave the condo and will turn left up Commonwealth Drive. From there? I don't know for sure, but I can guarantee you the day will become a lot less stressful.

The Fire at Court Square Tavern

My tavern is closed indefinitely tonight, after a fire that broke out early this morning. I had just dropped off my daughter at day care, and heard a bulletin on 1400 AM , one of our two sports-talk stations. I didn't even know they did local news, but at least on this occasion, they did. All I heard was "evacuation at Court Square" and I immediately thought I should drive over there. The big building at 500 Court Square was still standing, so that gave me a bit of hope. People were moving around Market Street, and seemed happy. Or at least, not burned. Then I turned up 5th Street, and saw one of the front windows, covered with a tarp, and a huge pile of debris on the sidewalk. Oh crap, I thought. I've worked at the Tavern since August of 2004, and have gone through many ups and downs while there. I started as a server, and became a manager and began bartending that December. It was the first place I was able to work since my separation from my first wife. Working the

Video builds the radio guy

I'm watching the tail end of the debut of Max Headroom, one of those shows from the late 80's that seemed so amazingly different, refreshing. The premiere revolves around an advertising conspiracy that's killing people. When I was a kid, this seemed so futuristic and somehow important. A television show was critiquing television practices. Now, the irony comes in because I'm watching this show on Joost , which is a new service created by the makers of Skype and KaZaa. There's advertising, of course, but it seems so seamless, you hardly notice it. A friend of mine sent me an invite today, and there's a ton of content here that I can watch legally, as often as I want. And, the picture is pretty darned good, full-screen. Everything is changing, and changing fast. Steve Safran of Lost Remote was recently a guest on Coy Barefoot's show and continued preaching the gospel of convergence, and Joost is so far the best (legal) implementation I've seen. It lacks