Skip to main content

Podcasting woes shall turn to gold

It's not been an easy month or so for the operations of the Charlottesville Podcasting Network. But, there's been a lot of great news, as new volunteers come into the fold.

For starters, there have been two big failures in the last month, and I've just discovered I might be in the midst of a third. On Christmas Eve, my database suddenly corrupted for no apparent reason and I couldn't post anything new. I was able to restore a back-up without losing too much data, but it took three days. Last week, my hosting provider switched my account to a new server, and forgot to connect the dots completely. I fixed that one somehow, and ended up upgrading to all new plug-ins.

Somehow, though, that disconnected the actual podcasting component of the site. For whatever reason, I can't get the audio files to get into the enclosure. This means that I'm getting no downloads at all. But, I am searching for ways to solve the problem.

And, in the process of solving this problem (which I'm sure I'll do) I know the site will be better than ever. There will be more content. Last week at Court Square Tavern I had ten people attend a very informal training session. I think it worked out fairly well, and I'll be doing a lot more of these in the near future.

For now, though, the trouble is what to do about the lack of podcasts through the Charlottesville Podcasting Network feed. In the meantime, I can point you all in the direction of the pages for the other podcasts that are CPN affiliates. Keep in mind, these are the feeds. The skin for these feeds, meaning the actual websites, are still being experimented with, so subscribe to the feeds if you'd like to keep up with the podcasts, which are still being posted.

Virginia Podcasting Network: Mostly podcasts about Virginia politics
WINA's "Charlottesville--Right Now!" with Coy Barefoot
WNRN's Sunday Morning Wake Up Call:

I'm almost certain that the vast majority of the CPN audience gets the content through an RSS feed, or through the e-mail subscription. Especially since the redesign, which I think has had the effect of killing off most web traffic. It is hard to tell at a glance what the new content is. We are working to make it better, but again, there's still a big pretty audience for the feed.

I think by the time I finished this e-mail, I got it almost working again. If so, I'll post the feed later. I think I am going to try to post more news about the site here. There's really nowhere on the CPN site itself for me to comment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running as sense-making

It's going to be a stressful day. I got up at 7:00 AM to start work and I could sit here in front of my computer for the next 10 days and still not get it all done. Okay, that might be an exaggeration, but I'm prone to that awful habit when I'm under stress. I'm under stress at the moment as I try to balance work, my other work, and my need to run six miles or so every other day. In 14 minutes my feet will hit the street and I'll be off. No phone. No e-mail. Just me and my feet. I'm even going to skip the iPod today so I can hear the birds, and so I can concentrate on my surroundings. I don't know where I'm going to go. I know I'll leave the condo and will turn left up Commonwealth Drive. From there? I don't know for sure, but I can guarantee you the day will become a lot less stressful.

What happens next after Facebook?

I just completed a long day at work in my new job. I worked on the Downtown Mall to get ready, and felt charged by the snow falling. It's winter now,  my favorite season, and I wanted to just watch it happening while I prepared two public comments I made at the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors meeting. I didn't want to put the above on Facebook, but that's the kind of status update I used to feel comfortable rattling off without any thought. When I joined the site, I was a reporter for Charlottesville Tomorrow. I think. I think that was back in 2008 or so? At the time, I had gotten so used to posting on this blog, which I consider public record. What I have written on this site since 2005 or so is a document of my life during that time.  I stopped posting here on a regular basis a long time ago. I would post items to Facebook, in part because I wanted a larger audience. I wanted to communicate to more people than I could reach here, and I wanted interaction.

Video builds the radio guy

I'm watching the tail end of the debut of Max Headroom, one of those shows from the late 80's that seemed so amazingly different, refreshing. The premiere revolves around an advertising conspiracy that's killing people. When I was a kid, this seemed so futuristic and somehow important. A television show was critiquing television practices. Now, the irony comes in because I'm watching this show on Joost , which is a new service created by the makers of Skype and KaZaa. There's advertising, of course, but it seems so seamless, you hardly notice it. A friend of mine sent me an invite today, and there's a ton of content here that I can watch legally, as often as I want. And, the picture is pretty darned good, full-screen. Everything is changing, and changing fast. Steve Safran of Lost Remote was recently a guest on Coy Barefoot's show and continued preaching the gospel of convergence, and Joost is so far the best (legal) implementation I've seen. It lacks