Skip to main content

Experiment live stream of audio while I produce it

So, I paid for this stream to work on and play around with, and I'm barely using it. How did it come to that? If I knew 10 years ago that I could spend $15 a month to create a mini-radio station to play all kinds of wackiness on, I would have been very much looking forward to now.

Ten years ago, I had dreams of being a big rock and roll superstar, if you can believe it. I was growing fascinated with how sound equipment hooked up, but I could never get the hang of analog recording. I could never really appreciate the physics of how magnetic tape worked, especially when you started messing around with four-tracks. All I knew was, when my friend Jeff played the drums, I could sing and make up things that sounded somewhat passable and even to this day my yelling can still make me glad I took my time doing some interesting things.

Eight a half years ago, I bought my first copy of Cool Edit, a program I had learned how to use while working at WVTF in 1999 as a former intern who couldn't figure out what to do with his life. I began messing around with odd recordings, learning digital audio production as a way of making something that sounded like me.

Flash forward now, because this ain't the time for a history lesson, and I've got this stream that I'm just not using. So, I've decided to turn it on to leave it on when I'm doing audio work on the computer. During the rest of the time, I'm going to put on a playlist that'll play some of the hours and hours and hours of instrumental recordings I've made, as well as the occasional podcast.

Self-serving? Possibly. Career suicide? Maybe. But, I'll only put up things I think are somewhat palatable. For instance, I have over 500 experimental instrumental pieces I did from 1999 on. I miss producing them, but it began to feel like work, given that I use computers to produce sound all the time.

Like right now, I'm working on something I recorded over the weekend at the University of Virginia, and that means I can't do too much to tinker with the way the sound works. My clients just want the audio in as straight-forward a manner as possible. Of course, this sometimes means clipping out audio mistakes, or slight audio hiccups the listener might get really irritated with.

So, as an experiment, for the next hour or so, I'll have it up. Then, it goes to the stream of increasing oddity. I've been too shy to post any of this stuff before, but if it's a stream, maybe it'll still seem somewhat anonymous.

How to listen:

Shoutcast DNAS Status: http://s4.viastreaming.net:7290
Listen Address: http://s4.viastreaming.net/cgi-bin/listen.pls?7290

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One hundred and eleven days left

Today I finally returned to Smith Aquatic and Fitness Center after an over three year absence. The immediate reason to go today is an inability to shower at my house. My house is old and the pipe that takes used water, as well as the solids in that used water, has collapsed. It needs to be replaced. Nothing lasts forever, but many of those items are components. Components can be swapped out as they wear down, but the logistics of replacement can be trying or tedious. I've been trying to figure this out. Somehow, I've been ignoring my body and its physical health. I signed up for the Ten Miler but ran three times before getting out of the habit. Work consumes me and I am working on that. My life needs more components.  As I got out of my car, a kid about 150 feet away by the entrance immediately laughed. I was wearing an athletic shirt way too small for me, and my lower belly was exposed. I could feel it. I felt fat. I didn't feel gross. I didn't have any shame about thi

The Fire at Court Square Tavern

My tavern is closed indefinitely tonight, after a fire that broke out early this morning. I had just dropped off my daughter at day care, and heard a bulletin on 1400 AM , one of our two sports-talk stations. I didn't even know they did local news, but at least on this occasion, they did. All I heard was "evacuation at Court Square" and I immediately thought I should drive over there. The big building at 500 Court Square was still standing, so that gave me a bit of hope. People were moving around Market Street, and seemed happy. Or at least, not burned. Then I turned up 5th Street, and saw one of the front windows, covered with a tarp, and a huge pile of debris on the sidewalk. Oh crap, I thought. I've worked at the Tavern since August of 2004, and have gone through many ups and downs while there. I started as a server, and became a manager and began bartending that December. It was the first place I was able to work since my separation from my first wife. Working the

Documenting the moment

I'm numb. I have tickets to see a show I'd like to see but it's in Richmond. I need to be able to be back in Lynchburg at a moment's notice. My mother is not doing well and has been deteriorating since she got to the Summit less than three months ago.  I was down there for five days last week. I've not written it all down but I probably have to put it all together. I also have a lot of work to do.  I don't want to do any of it. But I will begin to get to it because I've built an engine to get the work done. This involves turning my brain off a little bit, but I think I can do that if I just float a little down the river.  There's no content in this one but I have to use this blog to capture my thoughts rather than put them out on social media. Sometimes I confuse my need to write things out with a need to share what I'm doing with anyone who might care.  I do the former to help myself think. I do the latter to help myself feel less alone. Both are im