Skip to main content

A better tomorrow

In March 1999, I went with some friends to a house on the Chesapeake Bay, or the northern neck of the Potomac, or some other house in a place I did not yet realize would be significant later in life. We were there to play music, and we recorded two and a half hours of improvised punk rock. 

One of the songs was this one, called Better Tomorrow. Looking back now, this track is very much a journal about where I was at that point of my life and what I wanted, how I wanted to create  a life for myself that was mine despite all of the influences on me. I wanted a different life. 




And here I am, 14 years later and I certainly have one of those. There are many who have had similar lives, and I am learning to listen to their stories. Some of them find their way into the songs I make now. I have the ability to capture whatever it is I want to say when I'm ready to brave the uncertainty of an open microphone.

I'm glad I have this skill, and this hobby of documenting my life through sound. I want to write actual songs, but I don't think I'm ready for that yet. Something isn't quite right, and I seem to need to have my journals serve as audio accompaniments to my life now with all of its twists and turns.

I hope to share more of that in this space over the next while because I have the ability to do so. We live in age where it is possible for me to get this out there, if only to serve as another way for me to access it remotely. And, who knows? Maybe someone will see the value in it over the ages.

I'm past the point where I want to explain why I do what I do. I'm a singer, and that means I need to apply my ability to write to my passion to belt out words in an artful manner. I've come a long way since these recordings. I've had a lot of experience in life, and that informs the cryptic lyrics that come out of me when I'm in the middle of becoming the part of me that needs to express myself artistically.

I'm not perfect or good and I don't want to win anyone over. What I want to do is keep improving, keep getting better at getting in touch with myself. After all, when I make music, that is when I feel the most free. The second most free is when I believe in what I am doing, and know that I am working to improve.

But I'm doing so at my own speed. I have a busy life, and I can only devote a small fraction of active time to this. That is why I favor my method of recording improvisational sessions. Inside of these sessions, I work on songs and I am definitely progressing towards a set of songs. I need a new production method to make them happen, I suspect, and I am working on that.

I'm raw. But this is me, and this is how I experience my life. I'm glad I am living in a better tomorrow where this is all possible.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fire at Court Square Tavern

My tavern is closed indefinitely tonight, after a fire that broke out early this morning. I had just dropped off my daughter at day care, and heard a bulletin on 1400 AM , one of our two sports-talk stations. I didn't even know they did local news, but at least on this occasion, they did. All I heard was "evacuation at Court Square" and I immediately thought I should drive over there. The big building at 500 Court Square was still standing, so that gave me a bit of hope. People were moving around Market Street, and seemed happy. Or at least, not burned. Then I turned up 5th Street, and saw one of the front windows, covered with a tarp, and a huge pile of debris on the sidewalk. Oh crap, I thought. I've worked at the Tavern since August of 2004, and have gone through many ups and downs while there. I started as a server, and became a manager and began bartending that December. It was the first place I was able to work since my separation from my first wife. Working the

One hundred and eleven days left

Today I finally returned to Smith Aquatic and Fitness Center after an over three year absence. The immediate reason to go today is an inability to shower at my house. My house is old and the pipe that takes used water, as well as the solids in that used water, has collapsed. It needs to be replaced. Nothing lasts forever, but many of those items are components. Components can be swapped out as they wear down, but the logistics of replacement can be trying or tedious. I've been trying to figure this out. Somehow, I've been ignoring my body and its physical health. I signed up for the Ten Miler but ran three times before getting out of the habit. Work consumes me and I am working on that. My life needs more components.  As I got out of my car, a kid about 150 feet away by the entrance immediately laughed. I was wearing an athletic shirt way too small for me, and my lower belly was exposed. I could feel it. I felt fat. I didn't feel gross. I didn't have any shame about thi

Running as sense-making

It's going to be a stressful day. I got up at 7:00 AM to start work and I could sit here in front of my computer for the next 10 days and still not get it all done. Okay, that might be an exaggeration, but I'm prone to that awful habit when I'm under stress. I'm under stress at the moment as I try to balance work, my other work, and my need to run six miles or so every other day. In 14 minutes my feet will hit the street and I'll be off. No phone. No e-mail. Just me and my feet. I'm even going to skip the iPod today so I can hear the birds, and so I can concentrate on my surroundings. I don't know where I'm going to go. I know I'll leave the condo and will turn left up Commonwealth Drive. From there? I don't know for sure, but I can guarantee you the day will become a lot less stressful.