Skip to main content

Court Square Tavern in 2014

I worked my first shift at Court Square Tavern for 2014, and while it was slow, I am glad that I have the opportunity to continue to get paid to be there for yet another time.

It's been three or four months now since I went back there. The transition has been odd because it's felt unreal to be back there this time. It's taken some getting used to, being back in exactly the same place I was so many Friday nights in the past.

This is going to be a positive year. I am determined to make it so. Everything is going right, and according to plan. This is going to be a great year of reporting, and a great year of helping to rebuild the tavern as an active place in this community. There are so many reasons why this is important, even if you never come in.

I can't do that big history right now, for it is late and I have a full day of work ahead of me tomorrow. I just know I feel good at the end of my shift because this is what I want to be doing. I want to make sure I have enough money to get me through the month and to make sure I can meet my obligations. I am blessed that I've been given a fourth or fifth chance to work in a place that I consider sacred ground. 

So, what will happen in 2014 at the tavern? I don't know, but I'm going to help to work make it a better place for all of us. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running as sense-making

It's going to be a stressful day. I got up at 7:00 AM to start work and I could sit here in front of my computer for the next 10 days and still not get it all done. Okay, that might be an exaggeration, but I'm prone to that awful habit when I'm under stress. I'm under stress at the moment as I try to balance work, my other work, and my need to run six miles or so every other day. In 14 minutes my feet will hit the street and I'll be off. No phone. No e-mail. Just me and my feet. I'm even going to skip the iPod today so I can hear the birds, and so I can concentrate on my surroundings. I don't know where I'm going to go. I know I'll leave the condo and will turn left up Commonwealth Drive. From there? I don't know for sure, but I can guarantee you the day will become a lot less stressful.

What happens next after Facebook?

I just completed a long day at work in my new job. I worked on the Downtown Mall to get ready, and felt charged by the snow falling. It's winter now,  my favorite season, and I wanted to just watch it happening while I prepared two public comments I made at the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors meeting. I didn't want to put the above on Facebook, but that's the kind of status update I used to feel comfortable rattling off without any thought. When I joined the site, I was a reporter for Charlottesville Tomorrow. I think. I think that was back in 2008 or so? At the time, I had gotten so used to posting on this blog, which I consider public record. What I have written on this site since 2005 or so is a document of my life during that time.  I stopped posting here on a regular basis a long time ago. I would post items to Facebook, in part because I wanted a larger audience. I wanted to communicate to more people than I could reach here, and I wanted interaction.

Video builds the radio guy

I'm watching the tail end of the debut of Max Headroom, one of those shows from the late 80's that seemed so amazingly different, refreshing. The premiere revolves around an advertising conspiracy that's killing people. When I was a kid, this seemed so futuristic and somehow important. A television show was critiquing television practices. Now, the irony comes in because I'm watching this show on Joost , which is a new service created by the makers of Skype and KaZaa. There's advertising, of course, but it seems so seamless, you hardly notice it. A friend of mine sent me an invite today, and there's a ton of content here that I can watch legally, as often as I want. And, the picture is pretty darned good, full-screen. Everything is changing, and changing fast. Steve Safran of Lost Remote was recently a guest on Coy Barefoot's show and continued preaching the gospel of convergence, and Joost is so far the best (legal) implementation I've seen. It lacks