Skip to main content

Rethinking my social media options

As 2014 continues to retain a slight glow, I find myself seeking new habits and patterns. I am revisiting the fifth year anniversary of my second divorce the same year I will observe the tenth year anniversary of my first. 

This isn't stuff I want to write on Facebook. I've had the practice of stripping my status updates of anything that indicated any negative emotional states. I don't want to project any doubt into an online platform that mirrors the social ecosystem in which I live my life. Friends are in the same club as people I've never met before, and I'd rather they see my best side.

So, I post boring stuff like this:

As a bearded man, I have to say I love the practice of sports teams not shaving through the playoffs.

Nonsense and piffle, I'd say, but it's designed to be piffle. Occasionally I'll post something hoping to start a philosophical conversation, but I can't control how others perceive me. I end up censoring myself as a result.

Not so in this blog, which contains many embarrassing confessions that my life is not always perfect. No one's life is, and since I was a teenager I have used writing to to mark my days. When you take them all in totality, these scrawls define my existence. They make me who I am, and I often wonder whether super-intelligent computers in the future will know of me because a Googlesphere submarine will preserve the entire set of blog posts I've been writing here for the past 7 years. Cross-check those with the memory fields that will be built in space by Facebook, and it's possible our virtual selves could exist for quite some time to come.

I'm not disappearing from Facebook. This isn't one of those posts. I figure, we're so far into the 21st century now that communicating with each other in this manner is going to continue, and continue to evolve.

But I want to be more aware of what it's doing to me. And I want to see if I can alter how I use the utility in order to indeed craft out a better future for myself. After all, the regenerative glow of 2014 continues to pulse and it's time to set some policies. 

For starters, on Facebook, I am not going to be afraid to unfriend people. It seems like the rude thing to do, but I would kick people out of my bar, and would kick people out of my house. In real life, I've chosen to withdraw from certain people and to no longer interact with them. Why should I not do this on Facebook as well?

So, I've begun whittling down my list. I began with deleting three people with whom I failed to start relationships with. Two of them were from last year, and other person was from 2012. I no longer need to know any details about their lives. That information might be out there, but I do not need to see it. I do not need to have my outlook pulled backwards through lingering magnetism. 

I also will pledge to not get involved in political debates. I've done pretty well with this, but my role as a journalist and a referee of argument is put in jeopardy when I open my big mouth with my impulsive fingers. I have opinions, and I am sure they will come out over the course of my lifetime. But, they do not inform my reporting, because I have spent my career building a reputation as a neutral arbiter of what happens. 

I will continue to post pictures of my children, because that's something I enjoy doing and because they are the main focus of my life at this point.

But, I'm going to continue reevaluating Facebook and the role it plays in my life. 

I will continue to only use Twitter primarily as a way of advancing my journalistic interests. I am considering updating my current profile, which now says this: 

Journalist for Charlottesville Tomorrow interested in infrastructure, local government in England and Virginia.

This is true, but I hope to flesh it out a bit, make it more pointed. Twitter is a platform where I should try to expand my number of followers, whereas I want more quality friends on Facebook. 

And then there's Google Plus, the one that everyone's forgotten except for Google. I've noticed that many of my posts there are now getting a lot of comments from strangers, people I don't know. This is a bit better due to what I post there, which is mostly links to music and movies I like. These posts show up there, too, but I can turn that off. But I won't. 

I've realized that no one wants to read long blog entries. This is where I find obscurity! But, also, accountability, because nothing I post here is something I would want to keep secret. I may not want to shine the brightest light on what I write here, because this is my most reliable outlet for getting some catharsis.

Also, I've deleted my profile on a free dating site. That was nothing but trouble and a confirmation that romance is for other people. This year is the year I stop caring that I don't have a partner, and hopefully a reminder that my attractions to other people have been the source of great misery. 

Finally, there's Tumblr, which I use to post little snippets of "music" I create in my spare time. I'm not sure why I do this because I don't think any of what I do is ready for other ears to listen. Likewise, I post material to SoundCloud as well. I'm not sure why, because I've had at least one person tell me I shouldn't do this. The goal is to find a collaborator or a partner, and I'll still try to figure out how to make that happen.

In short, I live a pretty solitary life, despite being in public a lot and leaving a lot of myself online. Somehow I'm more expressive on here than I am anywhere else. I'm just a person going through the motions, and my contributions to social media in part define how people perceive of me. Yet, what I'm putting out there is only a distorted version of who I am. This year I'm hoping to flesh that out as I continue living out my fifth decade in this rapidly evolving century of ours.

So, 2014, bring it on. I'm ready to document it all. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One hundred and eleven days left

Today I finally returned to Smith Aquatic and Fitness Center after an over three year absence. The immediate reason to go today is an inability to shower at my house. My house is old and the pipe that takes used water, as well as the solids in that used water, has collapsed. It needs to be replaced. Nothing lasts forever, but many of those items are components. Components can be swapped out as they wear down, but the logistics of replacement can be trying or tedious. I've been trying to figure this out. Somehow, I've been ignoring my body and its physical health. I signed up for the Ten Miler but ran three times before getting out of the habit. Work consumes me and I am working on that. My life needs more components.  As I got out of my car, a kid about 150 feet away by the entrance immediately laughed. I was wearing an athletic shirt way too small for me, and my lower belly was exposed. I could feel it. I felt fat. I didn't feel gross. I didn't have any shame about thi

The Fire at Court Square Tavern

My tavern is closed indefinitely tonight, after a fire that broke out early this morning. I had just dropped off my daughter at day care, and heard a bulletin on 1400 AM , one of our two sports-talk stations. I didn't even know they did local news, but at least on this occasion, they did. All I heard was "evacuation at Court Square" and I immediately thought I should drive over there. The big building at 500 Court Square was still standing, so that gave me a bit of hope. People were moving around Market Street, and seemed happy. Or at least, not burned. Then I turned up 5th Street, and saw one of the front windows, covered with a tarp, and a huge pile of debris on the sidewalk. Oh crap, I thought. I've worked at the Tavern since August of 2004, and have gone through many ups and downs while there. I started as a server, and became a manager and began bartending that December. It was the first place I was able to work since my separation from my first wife. Working the

Documenting the moment

I'm numb. I have tickets to see a show I'd like to see but it's in Richmond. I need to be able to be back in Lynchburg at a moment's notice. My mother is not doing well and has been deteriorating since she got to the Summit less than three months ago.  I was down there for five days last week. I've not written it all down but I probably have to put it all together. I also have a lot of work to do.  I don't want to do any of it. But I will begin to get to it because I've built an engine to get the work done. This involves turning my brain off a little bit, but I think I can do that if I just float a little down the river.  There's no content in this one but I have to use this blog to capture my thoughts rather than put them out on social media. Sometimes I confuse my need to write things out with a need to share what I'm doing with anyone who might care.  I do the former to help myself think. I do the latter to help myself feel less alone. Both are im