Skip to main content

From Minecraft to microfiche

For much of the last year, I've spent my free time playing Minecraft. I bought the game for my kids but found myself completely lost in the world. I've spent countless hours playing the game,  learning how to survive and build structures and explore a virtual world. 

But now, I've grown bored with it. Which means I have free time left over. That's meant I've been going to the Jefferson Madison Regional Library's reference section in the central branch to go back in time to update cvillepedia. 

It's a good trade of time, I'd say. I'm still spending as much in front of a computer but the virtual world I'm helping to recreate tells the story of Charlottesville and Albemarle County through historic articles from the Daily Progress

My main mission this year is to help understand the events of 1960 better. That's the year of the first major annexation of county lands by the city.  There was also an election and a referendum on public housing. The latter led to the urban renewal at Vinegar Hill, an event that left a big hole in the community and continues to lead to distrust as Charlottesville is in a new era of growth. 

I wasn't around back then. I'm around now and I hope to use some of my time to connect the pieces in a digital environment. I want the future to have a chance to see the stories of the past to understand how decisions were made then. There are tough ones to make in the future. 

I'm spending a lot of time on this. I'm drawn to it and want to make this my main hobby this year. Of course it's so related to my work, but my life is now about telling the stories of how this community gets planned. I have a front row seat to see whether whether and how Charlottesville becomes a slightly bigger city. 

So it's important to go back and see what happened in the past at a very different time that still seems familiar as I go through it. I'm reading about election announcements by candidates, retirements by Councilors, and getting a sense for who made the decisions back then 56 years ago. 

I'm also building out stubs for the people who were elected before then. People like Strother R. Hamm who lived from 1890 to 1970 and was mayor at one point. He owned a furniture store. That's important. It's important for me to know these things. 

I don't know what  happens next. I want to know what happened before. I've always been pulled back to the past. I've made my living reliving meetings so that I can write about them, constructing things that happened into narratives for others to read. 

I'm appreciating the chance to go a bit further back. I've also been spending time in 1998 and 1999. A researched in England wanted help finding information about a murder trial. That's not my thing but I have a ton of scans if anyone's interested in helping out. 

There are so many stories we have to tell. I hope that I can help others use tell them. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running as sense-making

It's going to be a stressful day. I got up at 7:00 AM to start work and I could sit here in front of my computer for the next 10 days and still not get it all done. Okay, that might be an exaggeration, but I'm prone to that awful habit when I'm under stress. I'm under stress at the moment as I try to balance work, my other work, and my need to run six miles or so every other day. In 14 minutes my feet will hit the street and I'll be off. No phone. No e-mail. Just me and my feet. I'm even going to skip the iPod today so I can hear the birds, and so I can concentrate on my surroundings. I don't know where I'm going to go. I know I'll leave the condo and will turn left up Commonwealth Drive. From there? I don't know for sure, but I can guarantee you the day will become a lot less stressful.

The Fire at Court Square Tavern

My tavern is closed indefinitely tonight, after a fire that broke out early this morning. I had just dropped off my daughter at day care, and heard a bulletin on 1400 AM , one of our two sports-talk stations. I didn't even know they did local news, but at least on this occasion, they did. All I heard was "evacuation at Court Square" and I immediately thought I should drive over there. The big building at 500 Court Square was still standing, so that gave me a bit of hope. People were moving around Market Street, and seemed happy. Or at least, not burned. Then I turned up 5th Street, and saw one of the front windows, covered with a tarp, and a huge pile of debris on the sidewalk. Oh crap, I thought. I've worked at the Tavern since August of 2004, and have gone through many ups and downs while there. I started as a server, and became a manager and began bartending that December. It was the first place I was able to work since my separation from my first wife. Working the

Video builds the radio guy

I'm watching the tail end of the debut of Max Headroom, one of those shows from the late 80's that seemed so amazingly different, refreshing. The premiere revolves around an advertising conspiracy that's killing people. When I was a kid, this seemed so futuristic and somehow important. A television show was critiquing television practices. Now, the irony comes in because I'm watching this show on Joost , which is a new service created by the makers of Skype and KaZaa. There's advertising, of course, but it seems so seamless, you hardly notice it. A friend of mine sent me an invite today, and there's a ton of content here that I can watch legally, as often as I want. And, the picture is pretty darned good, full-screen. Everything is changing, and changing fast. Steve Safran of Lost Remote was recently a guest on Coy Barefoot's show and continued preaching the gospel of convergence, and Joost is so far the best (legal) implementation I've seen. It lacks