Skip to main content

The year in running truly begins

I've been sluggish.
I've been a sloth.
I've been slovenly.
I've slipped.
I've slowly begun the transformation to large man again.

Or have I?

I can report I've taken advantage of my day off to spend 90 minutes under the sun running my first ten-miler in about three months or so. My work schedule ramped up dramatically in August, meaning that I've not had much chance to do long runs. Sunday mornings are my only real opportunity, and I've been too exhausted to go for it. There's also house-cleaning that needs to be done, and I've been choosing to do that instead.

But, today, on a day off, I can clearly say that I've got to figure out a way to engineer distance runs back into my life. There's nothing more satisfying then selecting a distance, coming up with a pace, and then running it, arriving home at all out of breath, and not even particularly tired.

This is what it feels like to be healthy.

There's nothing like the joy I get at key moments along a run in the outdoors. So many things to see in here in the town in which I live. Today I went exploring a bit, doing some research on some areas I'm going to be writing about for Charlottesville Tomorrow. And then I hit the downtown mall, and was delighted at how many people were out and about, taking advantage of this glorious weather. I was happy that I seem to be getting pretty good at estimating distances by sight, using my Garmin to see whether I was right.

This is what it feels like to be the best human I can be.

A year ago, I was running to fill a hole. I was running away from a version of myself that had to be regenerated. I hadn't even run my first race yet, and I was still on the treadmill at Gold's.

A year from now, I have no idea where I'll be. That's not the point, and it wasn't the point back then, either. Instead, the idea was to overcome self-doubt and the panic it would occasionally cause. The idea was to keep one foot moving in front of the other, to push myself further and further. To realize that in any one particular horrendous moments, there are better ones yet to come.

Before I went out today, I really didn't want to go. I've not been doing so well in terms of motivation the past few weeks. Or rather, work and family and work tend to get in the way. The cold is also a downside, though I really don't mind running at the gym for my work-outs.

But, these long runs are something special. I'd not done more than 5 miles outside in a month. Now, I can tick a box and clearly state I'm training for the Charlottesville Ten-Miler and likely the Charlottesville half-marathon.

Now, with two hours before I pick up my kids, I have to figure out a way to become more organized in my life. Things have tended to be haphazard. I crave order. Now that I have a confidence boost that tells me I'm somewhat in shape, maybe I can gain the confidence to organize my life?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running as sense-making

It's going to be a stressful day. I got up at 7:00 AM to start work and I could sit here in front of my computer for the next 10 days and still not get it all done. Okay, that might be an exaggeration, but I'm prone to that awful habit when I'm under stress. I'm under stress at the moment as I try to balance work, my other work, and my need to run six miles or so every other day. In 14 minutes my feet will hit the street and I'll be off. No phone. No e-mail. Just me and my feet. I'm even going to skip the iPod today so I can hear the birds, and so I can concentrate on my surroundings. I don't know where I'm going to go. I know I'll leave the condo and will turn left up Commonwealth Drive. From there? I don't know for sure, but I can guarantee you the day will become a lot less stressful.

Video builds the radio guy

I'm watching the tail end of the debut of Max Headroom, one of those shows from the late 80's that seemed so amazingly different, refreshing. The premiere revolves around an advertising conspiracy that's killing people. When I was a kid, this seemed so futuristic and somehow important. A television show was critiquing television practices. Now, the irony comes in because I'm watching this show on Joost , which is a new service created by the makers of Skype and KaZaa. There's advertising, of course, but it seems so seamless, you hardly notice it. A friend of mine sent me an invite today, and there's a ton of content here that I can watch legally, as often as I want. And, the picture is pretty darned good, full-screen. Everything is changing, and changing fast. Steve Safran of Lost Remote was recently a guest on Coy Barefoot's show and continued preaching the gospel of convergence, and Joost is so far the best (legal) implementation I've seen. It lacks

The Fire at Court Square Tavern

My tavern is closed indefinitely tonight, after a fire that broke out early this morning. I had just dropped off my daughter at day care, and heard a bulletin on 1400 AM , one of our two sports-talk stations. I didn't even know they did local news, but at least on this occasion, they did. All I heard was "evacuation at Court Square" and I immediately thought I should drive over there. The big building at 500 Court Square was still standing, so that gave me a bit of hope. People were moving around Market Street, and seemed happy. Or at least, not burned. Then I turned up 5th Street, and saw one of the front windows, covered with a tarp, and a huge pile of debris on the sidewalk. Oh crap, I thought. I've worked at the Tavern since August of 2004, and have gone through many ups and downs while there. I started as a server, and became a manager and began bartending that December. It was the first place I was able to work since my separation from my first wife. Working the